Unknown software exception 0x40000015 error is a Windows error message. It can appear on the screen with any version of Windows. However, most complaints come from Windows 10 users. In most cases, the problem is caused by damaged system files.
Error 0x40000015 An unknown software exception may occur with any program. The main reasons that led to the error
- corrupted system files ;
- incomplete installation of the software ;
- problems installing updates;
- incorrect uninstallation ;
- accidental deletion or replacement of the Windows registry ;
In addition, it has been found that pop-up windows with 0x40000015 errors sometimes appear when deleting a virus/malware/files due to a cyberinfection or after recovering the PC.
Advanced solution for computer users (manual update)
Error 0x40000015 may be caused by corruption of files in the system window. Many events may have occurred that could have caused errors in the system files. Incomplete installation, incomplete uninstallation, incorrect removal of applications or hardware. It can also be caused by restoring your computer after a virus or adware/spyware attack, or by incorrect shutdown of your computer. All of the above actions may result in the deletion or corruption of Windows system file entries. Damage to the system file results in the absence and inaccuracy of information and files necessary for normal operation of the application.
1) Start the computer and log on as administrator.
2) Click Start, select All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then click System Restore.
3) In the new window, select “Restore my computer to a previous date”, then click Next.
4) In the new window, select “Select the most recent system restore point from this list”, then click Next.
5) In the confirmation window, click Next.
6) When the restoration is completed, restart your computer.
Remove unwanted programs
Some programs have a start-up delay and may cause an error 0x40000015 a few minutes or hours after start-up without giving any information about the author of the error. In this case, you must perform a clean start according to the instructions given here. Net Boot temporarily disables all non-essential programs and allows you to see if any of them are guilty. If the error does not occur after a clean boot, the most likely problem is that one of the disabled programs is causing the error.
The ideal solution is to turn on the programs one by one, restart the device after each change and see when the error occurs, which should indicate the cause of the problem. If the error also occurs after a clean boot, the most likely cause is irreparable damage to the operating system, which in this case must be reinstalled.
Performing a clean boot
Sometimes third-party software can conflict with an application and cause an application error. To resolve the unknown software exception error (0x40000015), you must perform a clean restart of your computer and diagnose the problem step by step.
Make sure that your Windows operating system has been updated with
1 Press the Windows + me key and select Update and Security.
2 Then click Check for Updates again and make sure that you have installed all expected updates.
3) After installing the updates, restart your computer and make sure you can correct the error in the unknown software exception (0x40000015).